APARTMENTS IN THE OLD TOWN OF LUCERNE
Hotel Krone Apartments. The Bijou at the Winemarket.
The holiday region of Central Switzerland, with its clear waters, green meadows, quiet forests and massive mountain peaks, is the epitome of “paradise” for many people.
The guild-house for butchering is located at the Winemarket 3. The name Fish- or Winemarket appears in documents for the first time around 1300th hundred. The place served the food trade, public gatherings under the open sky and the southwestern part as a courtroom with pillory and vice bench.
In 1428, the square was laid out with sandstone slabs. Wine was traded in the upper part. At the end of the 14th century, there were 46 pieces of wine cellars in Lucerne. The wine barrels were stored openly on the wine market. At the end of the 16th century, up to 160 wine barrels stood at the same time on the wine market.
In the 15th century, the reputation of guilds grew in Lucerne. The guild of butchers decided to build their own guild house, which they built in 1458 at the Winemarket in Lucerne together with the Balenherren, the guild of the fishermen and pipe-joints. In 1529 it was replaced by a stone building.
The entrance to the guildhall was on the ground floor. The guild rooms were on the first, high floor. They had a special social function: when the Council of Lucerne concluded an agreement with an external delegation, the signing took place with one drink each at one of the different guild rooms. The guild rooms were also open to other guests as a drinking-room. Her broad window faced the wine market. A second floor was above it. In the 17th century, a further upper floor and an attic storey increased the Zunfthaus for butchers and for a long time was one of the tallest houses in Lucerne’s old town.